Monday 21 June 2010

Why West Ham?

Probably due to being born during West Ham's golden era and them being the nearest team (about 15 miles away).
I had only heard of 3 teams when I was a little kid - West Ham, Man Utd and Southend, dad had briefly played for Southend after coming out of the army where he was the goalie for the army team.
I think Man U were league champions, but the Hammers had just won the FA Cup, Euro cup winners cup and then the World cup so it was no contest, can't help thinking I'd have enjoyed more success if I'd chosen the other lot!!
Those little bits of success have been few and far between in my years of following the Hammers but enjoyable when it does happen.
Been an armchair fan for the last few years so can't claim to be a number one supporter although I was dedicated for many years following them home and away from the mid seventies till the mid nineties.
Highlights are probably the 1980 cup year when I never missed a game home or away, and seeing some of the great names in Hammers history, sadly I didn't start going until after Bobby Moore, Geoff Hurst and Martin Peters had left but I still consider Trevor Brooking to have been one of the finest midfielders in the game.
Low points are too many to mention but the bad times make the good times so much sweeter.

No comments:

Post a Comment