Monday 27 April 2020

Peter Bonetti R.I.P

Another player who died recently was former Chelsea and England goalkeeper Peter Bonetti, he was 78 and had suffered a long illness.
I hadn't realised until today he had died as it didn't get as much coverage as Norman Hunter?

Probably missed the best of him as I didn't watch much football when I was little, the first game I remember watching all the way through was the 1970 F.A Cup Final with Chelsea against Leeds.
Sadly the only real memory of him I have is the 1970 World Cup when he was called in as a late replacement for Gordon Banks in the Quarter Finals against West Germany, and my Dad saying we would have beaten them if we'd had a proper goalkeeper πŸ˜”

He obviously had a fine career apart from that game and will be a sad loss for Chelsea fans 😒

No comments:

Post a Comment