R.I.P Kevin Keegan
I don't think I really appreciated him until I saw him live playing for Southampton in the early 80's.
He never stopped running and was outjumping players like Alvin Martin and Billy Bonds, even though we won 4-2 I came away thinking it was one of the best individual performances I had seen.
A star player for Liverpool in a double act with John Toshack, went off to Hamburg and twice won European footballer of the year.
Later went to Southampton and Newcastle, and then managed Newcastle, Fulham, Man City and England.
Always a shame that both he and Trevor Brooking were injured in the 1982 World Cup, with both getting just 30 minutes of action in a 0-0 draw with Spain, meaning England went home despite being unbeaten.
A great character who will be missed.
I don't think I really appreciated him until I saw him live playing for Southampton in the early 80's.
He never stopped running and was outjumping players like Alvin Martin and Billy Bonds, even though we won 4-2 I came away thinking it was one of the best individual performances I had seen.
A star player for Liverpool in a double act with John Toshack, went off to Hamburg and twice won European footballer of the year.
Later went to Southampton and Newcastle, and then managed Newcastle, Fulham, Man City and England.
Always a shame that both he and Trevor Brooking were injured in the 1982 World Cup, with both getting just 30 minutes of action in a 0-0 draw with Spain, meaning England went home despite being unbeaten.
A great character who will be missed.
No comments:
Post a Comment