Saturday 5 March 2016

Sad

Something that annoys me, don't know why?

I've always known that West Ham's ground was actually called the Boleyn ground and is located in the London borough of Upton Park.
But throughout my life which includes many hundreds of visits I've always called it Upton Park, as does every person I've ever talked football with.
Suddenly it seems trendy in the media to call it the Boleyn? the Boleyn is the pub at the end of the road.

It was nice to hear David Gold correct the BT guy at the weekend when asked about leaving the Boleyn, he replied "we've always called it Upton Park".

6 comments:

  1. Great picture who could ever forget the portacabin club shop/ ticket office those were the days!
    Paulo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Used to get the buzz when I got to that position :)
    Peanuts!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That and igor the programme seller also the George roper and Samaria abou sellers
    Cheers
    Paulo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would just be finishing my soggy burger at this point, if you remember those weird burgers the guy used to sell about halfway between the station and the ground :)
    Did you mean Samassi Abou? and everyone old looked like George Roper in them days haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah there were two programme sellers one looked like George roper he stood corner by church and still does! Other one looked like our very own samassi abou though not seen here for a while yeah I remember them burgers in fact as I type this I can still taste it lol good to see old west stand before those bloody stupid castles went up
    Cheers
    Paulo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah I hate those castles, just make the place look cheap and nasty.
    As I said before I'm just an armchair fan these days, haven't been in over 2 years and doubt I'll get back there this year (so my Upton park days are over) :(
    But I really miss the old days, I loved being squashed on the train between Barking and Upton Park and all nearly falling over when it suddenly stopped near East Ham. Paying on the gate, and the terraces as I've always hated sitting down at matches. Nothing beats that surge when you score.

    ReplyDelete