Saturday 2 October 2010

West Ham v Tottenham Part 2


I heard today that Tottenham have also been in contact with the London Olympic committee about the possibility of moving to the new Olympic stadium after the games, although Harry Redknapp on the radio tonight seemed a bit bemused by it all especially as permission has just been granted to expand White Hart lane up from 36,000 to 56,000.
The obvious question is could either Spurs or West Ham fill an 80,000 capacity stadium? that would depend on prices and the success of the teams, I have been part of a 55,000 crowd at Tottenham several times in the early eighties and 40,000 crowds at Upton park in the seventies before both grounds capacities were reduced for the all seater's.
Personally I'd give it to Tottenham or Orient or anyone else even though it's on our doorstep as the thought of a half empty stadium with a running track around it doesn't inspire me much, it just makes me think of when I went to see Billericay play in the vase final at Wembley many years back although about 18,000 were there it just seemed empty, I still miss the days when the Upton Park stands were right against the pitch and as a kid I'd pat Trevor Brooking and others on the back as he took a throw in.
My feeling is that neither team will end up there as the politicians seem set on keeping the stadium as an athletics track and it will end up being subsidised by the tax payer until eventually someone pulls the plug and the thing gets knocked down and sold off to a property developer at a knock down price.

No comments:

Post a Comment