Wednesday 11 May 2016

A Bit of Nostalgia

The 1974/75 season was when I got the bug, I had seen West Ham a couple of times when I was about 10 going with my Dad and uncle, but by this season I'd finally persauded my Mum that I could be trusted to go with some mates from school. I can't remember the exact cost of the train from Grays to Upton Park and I think the West side admission was about a pound? so the day cost about £3 which I had to save up.
5th October 1974 at home to Derby (who went on to win the league that season) the first time I was allowed to be part of the terrace crowd and it was brilliant :)
We had just had a run of 4 games where we looked like world beaters - Tranmere (LC) 6-0, Leicester 6-2, Birmingham 3-0, Burnley 5-3 so we were all hoping for another big victory, but it ended 2-2 with goals from Billy Bonds and Keith Robson but I enjoyed it anyway.
About a month later went to my next game and we beat Wolves 5-2 to prove I wasn't a jinx.
In May of that season we won the FA Cup so in my mind I had brought them good luck that season.

Obviously a lot of people are saying they will miss Upton Park and I'm one of them, but to be honest I've been missing the Old Upton Park for the last 20 years.
I loved the terraces and being so close to the pitch, for me when they made it all seater it killed most of the atmosphere.
I just couldn't get that same feeling in a row of plastic seats that I used to get when you scored and ended up 10 rows away from where you started, and the singing became patchy instead of the whole stadium singing as one. Also never really got used to buying a ticket beforehand, always preferred paying on the gate especially with away games as it was sometimes only decided we would go on the day.

... and the plastic castles are just tacky:)

Anyway farewell Upton Park :(



No comments:

Post a Comment