Friday 2 July 2010

Roy Hodgson


Roy Hodgson has become the new Liverpool manager.
Personally I am quite sad about this, before he took over at Fulham I often wondered how they kept surviving in the big league? small crowds, a ground only really suited for division one, and a succession of average managers and players.
Since his arrival they have become a team I like to watch, players he's bought seem to be a collection of those players who promised much at previous clubs but didn't really deliver, a rag tag bunch of journeyman footballers who play more like a team than virtually any other club in the league, players like Danny Murphy, Damien Duff, Andy Johnson, Jonathan Greening, Zoltan Gera and the ex hammer trio of Bobby Zamora, Paul Konchesky and John Paintsil who all have had their moments in the spotlight at previous clubs but never really fitted, add to that a great goalie Schwarzer and my favourite American Clint Dempsey who together were capable of giving anyone a game last year as the Europa cup run and many league games showed.
So I'm not sure what the future holds for Fulham now their leader has gone?

Hodgson probably has the most impressive CV of any English manager currently managing with European league and international successes at clubs and countries with limited resources.
Anyone that knows me will tell you I have an unnatural dislike of Liverpool based on experiences from my football supporting days where all the nastiest incidents to happen to me at games over the years were all perpertrated by Liverpool fans, so from a personal point of view I wanted Rafa to stay, as he was doing a great job of putting them back amongst the also rans of English football.
I'm not sure Hodgson is the sort of manager Liverpool fans would want as most I know still seem to think that Liverpool are up with the cream of world football and should be going for world famous managers.
Most of Hodgson's successes have been at clubs short of money where he has been able to get the best out of ordinary players, Liverpool seem to have bottomless pockets for buying players and the pressure will be on to spend some of those millions on a selection of this World cups stars while keeping the likes of Torres and Gerrard.
I imagine Hodgson will want to clear out a large proportion of the non Brit players that Rafa seemed to like so much, which might be popular with the Liverpool fans considering most of their glory years happened with an all British team.
I don't think players like Ngog, Insua, Degen, Kyrgiakos, Plessis, El Zhar etc have really inspired them and to be honest how many football fans had even heard of any of them when Rafa paid millions for them.

3 comments:

  1. It should be interesting at Liverpool next season and I wonder how long Torres will stay now. I will give it one more season then he'll be off (hopefully not to Chelsea!)

    Fulham seem to be after Sven or Mark Hughes. I expect them to struggle now (not that I'm too upset about that :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. latest news i heard today at work is that stuart pearce was being shown around the fulham training ground yesterday

    ReplyDelete
  3. That might be good, although he didn't have much success at Forest he's improved no end as the u21 boss and Capello's right hand man.

    ReplyDelete